The solution was developed and deployed to production in 2006. It is currently used by over 7 000 companies in France. The system users are certified accountants and tax professionals responsible for preparing and filing corporate income tax returns. The system functionality includes:
- completing electronic and paper tax returns with subsequent export to CSV, HTML, PDF formats;
- streamlining the entire tax filing workflow: completion, review and approval of tax returns, with a possibility of defining different workflows;
- real time calculation. The figures subject to calculation are filled in automatically according to the predefined rules and are changed on-the-flight when the initial data change, so there’s no need for multiple file updates, manual calculations and data entry;
- verification of the data entered according to the predefined rules;
- e-filing tax returns to the tax authorities;
- generating reports of different types on the tax returns created. Company managers are thus provided with consolidated analytical data and tax history;
- sending notifications to companies, etc.
A lightweight version of the system provides mid- and small-sized enterprises (that have no need for thefunctionality large corporations demand) with streamlined tax reporting capabilities.
High Scalability to Keep Up to Date with the Latest Tax Laws
The application is compliant with the accounting systems adopted in France and with the French tax law. Each system module corresponds to a separate tax type. All modules accommodate automatically to any changes that take place: tax forms are extended and adjusted accordingly. To this end, mechanisms were developed to enable yearly tax changes to come into force while retaining the data relevant to the previous accounting periods.
High Performance to Ensure Customer Satisfaction
The solution delivery model is SaaS (Software as a Service). For end users this implies no system installation, enterprise application integration, upgrade or maintenance costs: WebTaxes is accessible 24/7 via a web browser.
Itransition carries out platform maintenance and support. During hot tax seasons when companies rush to meet tax filing deadlines and when the application accessibility and productivity are of paramount importance, Itransition specialists keep ensuring high system performance and reliability. All issues arising, including those requiring immediate intervention, are successfully resolved.
For Dièse Finance, enhanced system’s performance and extended functionality translate into sustained customer satisfaction and increased customer retention rate.
To come up with an optimized web application, Google Web Toolkit (GWT 2.3.0), a Java development framework simplifying AJAX development, was employed. Consistent user experience was ensured due to the usage of CKEditor, an HTML text editor, and jQuery drag-and-drop plugins.
An Eclipse-based reporting system – BIRT – was integrated with the application to provide a report generating feature, with Apache Velocity leveraged to fill in the templates with the data stored in the database. Flying Saucer was utilized to enable rendering PDF-files from XML/ XHTML via iText.
The application business logic is encapsulated in EJB 3.0. The system handles over 1 GB of financial data contained in Oracle Database. JPA and Hibernate are used to effectuate data transfer between the application and relational database.
The platform was seamlessly integrated with another Dièse Finance’s application – a rather challenging task due to the peculiarities of both applications and differences between the Java technologies employed.